I adapted this recipe from Foof52's Zucchini Butter. I was so excited to try this recipe as a new way to use zucchini. Mine is yellow because I love those yellow zucchini with the green tops, but any zucchini will work. It is easy to make, low in calories and makes a great addition to my Shabbat salatim for the Summer. I topped it here with Dukkah, but I also think it would be great on top of a thin layer of Ricotta.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- about 1 cup ServingsServings
- 2 pounds zucchini, any variety
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil or butter
- 2 minced shallots, garlic, or combination of both
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Coarsely grate the zucchini by hand or with a food processor.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil or butter. Sauté the shallots or garlic until fragrant. Add the zucchini and stir. Cook and stir over medium to medium-high heat until the zucchini reaches a spreadable consistency, about 15 -20 minutes. If your mixture gets dry and you begin to burn the bottom, turn the flame down and add a bit of water or white wine, and keep stirring. Eventually the zucchini turns into a nice spreadable salad.
- Serve on it's own for spreading on bread, challah or anything or top with homemade Dukkah.