Quinoa gives these crispy cakes their fantastic crunch and tons of nutrition, but don't forget to add the flavorful aioli.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 6 ServingsServings
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 6 medium button mushrooms
- 1 medium zucchini shredded
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 can chick peas ( about 8 oz)
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 2 tablespoon nutritional yeast (optional)
- 3 tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- 3 tablespoon unsweetened almond milk or water
- 2 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon Chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 or 1/2 cup corn meal
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil for cooking
- 3 tablespoon vegan mayo for the alioli sauce
- 2 tablespoon dijon mustard for the alioli sauce
- 2 tablespoon Gold's Hot Horseradish for the alioli sauce
- 1 head roasted garlic for the alioli sauce
- 6 israeli pickles in brine or vinegar
- 1 cup red cabbage shredded (optional) Sandwich garnish
- 1 cup baby arugula Sandwich garnish
In a large sauce pan, bring water to a boil. Add salt and quinoa, reduce heat to medium and cook for 8-9 minutes until the quinoa is tender, but not mushy. Drain and set aside
Saute chopped mushrooms, shredded zucchini and garlic in one tablespoon of olive oil in a large non stick skillet. And 1/8 teaspoon of salt and cook for 5 minutes at medium heat, Set aside
Lightly mash chickpeas with a fork in a large bowl. Add 1 cup cooked quinoa, mushroom mixture, sliced scallions, nutritional yeast, mustard, almond milk, coconut flour, chili powder and cumin. Mix well using a fork or your hands.
Working with approximately 1.4 cup at a time, form about 6 patties and coat each one on both sides with cornmeal. Cook at medium low heat in a non stick skillet with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, about 10 minutes per side.
For the Alioli:
Cut the bottom of a head of garlic
Wrap it in aluminum foil and bake in the oven at 400F for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let it cool.
In a medium bowl add mayo, dijon mustard, horseradish and mix well
Squeeze roasted garlic cloves into the sauce.
Wisk really well until garlic cloves become creamy and part of the sauce
Serve on a bun with some fresh baby arugula, red cabbage and pickles