Red lentils add an earthy tone to this soup and are one of the fastest cooking legumes. Lentils are even mentioned in the Bible, as Esau traded his birthright to Jacob for “a potage of lentils”! This historic legume is rich in fiber, niacin, potassium, and zinc. Don’t overcook the lentils or they will start to come apart. The spiced egg roll wrappers are a crisp garnish and sub in nicely for crusty bread or soup nuts.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 6 ServingsServings
- 3 egg roll wrappers, such as the Nasoya brand
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, such as Vidalia, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 4 cloves fresh garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 large or 3 medium zucchini, with skin, cut into1/4-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup fresh dill, stems trimmed, loosely packed
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup dried red lentils
1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. Cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
3. Lay the egg roll wrappers on the prepared cookie sheet. In a small bowl, whisk the egg white and water. Brush each egg roll wrapper very lightly with the egg white mixture. Sprinkle with dried dill and dried basil. Place into the oven and bake for 5 minutes or until just golden brown. Set aside.
4. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium-low heat. Add the onion, garlic, sage, and thyme. Cook until the onion is translucent; do not allow it to brown.
5. Add the zucchini and dill. Sauté for 4–5 minutes, until zucchini is a little shiny.
6. Add the stock. Simmer for 15–20 minutes, or until the zucchini is soft.
7. Using an immersion blender, right in the pot, purée the soup until creamy. This can also be done in batches in a blender.
8. Add the lentils. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes.
9. Ladle the soup into bowls. Holding a spiced egg roll crisp over the pot to catch the spices that may fall off, break each into uneven shards and stand a few in the center of each bowl.