Thin slices of zucchini sub for lasagna noodles in this low-carb Italian classic. This way we get to enjoy that yummy cheesy goodness and even have room for a little garlic bread!
Feel free to serve some real pasta on the side for the kiddos.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- Cooking spray
- 2½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (such as Colavita), divided
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 portobello mushrooms, chopped
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes (about 3 cups)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced, lengthwise, into ⅛-inch thick “lasagna” style noodles
- 2 cups part-skim ricotta cheese, divided
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1½ cups shredded mozzarella
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease a 9- x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat.
3. Add 2 tablespoons oil, onions, and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are tender, about 8 minutes.
4. Add remaining half tablespoon oil and mushrooms and cook, until brown, about 4 minutes.
5. Add tomatoes and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, uncovered until it thickened, about 20 minutes.
6. Stir in basil and salt. Let cool.
7. Put a third of zucchini noodles on the bottom of the prepared dish, overlapping slightly. Top with half sauce and half ricotta. Repeat layers.
8. Top with last third zucchini. Sprinkle black pepper, parmesan, and mozzarella.
9. Bake at 375°F for 50 to 60 minutes or until golden brown.
- Calories: 320
- Carbohydrate Content: 16 g
- Cholesterol Content: 51 mg
- Fat Content: 20 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 21 g
- Sodium Content: 1204 mg
- Sugar Content: 7 g