Cornmeal is made by grinding corn kernels into a coarse powder. It is naturally whole grain and a good source of iron and phosphorus.
You can convert this recipe to make a loaf—just increase the baking time by 10 minutes.
To make it gluten free, swap gluten-free flour for whole wheat.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 medium zucchini, grated
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup whole-wheat or whole-spelt flour
- ¼ cup sucanat or coconut sugar
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup almond milk, mixed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup feta, crumbled
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeds removed, thinly sliced
1. Set zucchini in a colander, drizzle with salt and let sit for 10 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Spray a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray.
3. Mix cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda in a large bowl.
4. Add zucchini.
5. In a separate bowl whisk together almond milk, lemon juice, coconut oil, eggs, feta, and jalapeño, and add to dry ingredients. Using a spatula mix until combined.
6. Portion batter evenly into prepared muffin tin.
7. Bake at 400°F for 20 minutes.
8. Cool before serving.
- Calories: 170
- Carbohydrate Content: 21 g
- Cholesterol Content: 37 mg
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 5 g
- Sodium Content: 532 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g