A moist and delicious zucchini cake that also freezes Very Well, this is perfect when a surprise Visitor pops in and you Want to serve a light snack with your tea.
- 12 ServingsServings
- 1/4 pound (113 g) skinon hazelnuts
- 1/Z cup (125 ml) vegetable oil, plus 1 tablespoon for greasing pan
- 2 cups (256 g) sifted unbleached all-purpose flour, plus 1 tablespoon for dusting the pan
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Generous 3/4 cup (160 g) sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons grated zest from a navel orange
- 1/5 cup (80 ml) freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 1/2-inch (4 cm) piece ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 medium zucchini (not more than 1/2 pound/225 g), coarsely grated
Roast the hazelnuts in a toaster oven at 35 00F (l75°C) for about 15 minutes, or until the skins are blistered. While the nuts are still hot, rub them in a dish towel to remove most of their skin. (Some skin will remain.) Cool. Chop them in a food processor until coarse.
Preheat the oven to 350"13 (175°C). Grease a 5 by 9-inch (13 by 23 cm) loaf pan. With 1 tablespoon of the vegetable oil. Dust the pan With 1 tablespoon of the flour, then invert and tap the pan to shake out any excess Ílour.
Place the 2 cups (256 g) Ílour in a large bowl and add the hazelnuts, baking soda, baking powder, and sugar. In a smaller bowl, whisk the l/2 cup (125 ml) oil, the eggs, orange zest, orange juice, ginger, and Vanilla. With a rubber spatula, combine the wet ingredients with the Ílour mixture. Fold in the zucchini.
Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake on the middle shelf ofthe oven for about 60 minutes, until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
Cool on a Wire rack. Run a metal spatula around the sides ofthe pan to loosen the cake. Invert the loaf pan onto a serving plate.