- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 ServingsServings
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 green onions, sliced diagonally
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 fl oz) plum tomatoes
- 2 tbsp dried oregano, thyme or savory (or mixture of these)
- 1/2 cup chopped California walnuts
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 1 cup freshly grated Asiago cheese
- Freshly ground pepper Fresh Italian parsley
1 Heat oil in large, heavy skillet over medium heat. Add onion and mushrooms and sauté, stirring, 5 minutes.
2 Add garlic and sauté, 1 minute. Add tomatoes (breaking up with wooden spoon), herbs and walnuts. Cook, stirring, 10 to 15 minutes.
3 If mixture thickens too much, add a little chicken stock or red wine.
4 Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling water, cook pasta, stirring, 8 to 10 minutes, just until tender but still firm to bite.
5 Drain well; return pasta to pot. Pour walnut-tomato sauce over pasta and toss to coat.
6 Sprinkle with Asiago cheese and season to taste with pepper. Serve on heated plates. Garnish with parsley.
Source: California Walnut Board