Yerushalmi kugel gets its name from the city where it is most popular, Jerusalem. You cannot walk in the Machaneh Yehuda Shuk (market) on a Thursday or Friday without seeing humongous pots of this sweet and peppery noodle kugel and there is nothing quite like it.
Always make sure to use a great quality extra virgin olive oil, we love Colavita.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
Preheat oven 350.
1. Cook noodles according to package directions.
2. Return the pot to a burner and pour ⅔ cup sugar in pot and top with oil, without mixing.
3. Cook on medium-high heat until it reaches an amber brown color and is bubbly. (Use a candy thermometer and wait until temperature reaches 320F)
4. Working very quickly, pour noodles back into the pot with sugar and oil. Mixing vigorously, add eggs, additional 3 tablespoons sugar, salt, and pepper.
5. Bake kugel mixture for 30 minutes or transfer into aluminum pot, 9x13 baking pan or bundt pan and bake.
6. Invert, slice and serve with Israeli pickles.
Want recipes like this delivered straight to your inbox? Sign up now for Jamie Geller's Weekly Newsletter.