This grilled cheese recipe is our most popular sandwich. It starts with roasted mushrooms that is then mixed with slow caramelized onions. This rich mixture pairs with sharp cheese for the ultimate sandwich.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
Roasted Mushroom Conserva
- 2 cups assorted mushrooms
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup light balsamic vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Pinch of salt and black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 2 cup chopped parsley
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons oil
- Pinch of baking soda
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar (optional)
- Fresh sage or thyme (optional)
- 2 slices bread of your choice (I like Sourdough Pullman)
- Several slices of a sharper cheese such as Swiss or muenster
- 1 slice of smokey cheese (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Combine all Roasted Mushroom Conserva ingredients in 9x13 baking pan.
3. Roast in oven for 25-30 minutes.
4. Cut onions paper-thin and salt them (just like seasoning) for a few hours.
5. Squeeze out the moisture from the onions with paper towel and throw them in a pan with a thin coating of oil.
6. Add a pinch of baking soda and let them go for an hour, scraping them down and deglazing as they stick. When in a rush, add some brown sugar to wards the end to help finish off the caramelization process quicker.
7. Once onions are caramelized, mixed in herbs of choice, if you would like.
8. Blend the mushroom and caramelized onions together in a small bowl.
9. Spread the mixture onto two slices of bread and place cheese between the slices.
10. Smear mayo on the outside of the bread slices.
11. Use a panini grill, grilled cheese press or fry the sandwich in a saute pan over medium heat until browned and cheese is melted.
Recipe originally published in JOY of KOSHER with Jamie Geller Magazine Shavuot 2014 SUBSCRIBE NOW