This Whole Wheat Lemon Olive Oil Shortbread, with vegan ingredient option, is such a perfect bite when you want some baked goodness to accompany your morning coffee and especially on Shabbat as a parve, healthy treat.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 beaten egg (to make vegan, substitute 1 tabelspoon ground flax seeds with 2 1/2 tabelspoons water)
- Grated zest of 2 lemons
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8x8" square pan with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl combine flour and salt. Add powdered sugar and mix well. Add remaining Ingredients and mix with a large spoon till well combined.
3. Form dough into a ball. Take ball of dough and press evenly into your prepared baking pan. With a silicone spatula or a dull knife smooth out top of dough. Take a fork and prick holes in top of the smooth dough
4. Bake for 25 minutes untill top of the cookies feels firm. Let cool in pan 5 minutes then take a serrated knife and cut into squares.
You can also roll dough into a thick log and cut 1/4" slices and bake for 20 minutes.