You can try this with 100% whole wheat flour too, just add another tablespoon of vital wheat gluten. This gives the instructions for a food processor but you can use a mixer or do it by hand. Preparation time does not include rising time.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 ChallahsServings
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 packs active dry yeast
- ¾ cup warm water
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon vital wheat gluten
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ¾ cup plus 1 tablespoon cold water
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- Cooking spray
- Egg wash of 1 egg with 1 tablespoon water
1. Dissolve yeast and 2 teaspoons sugar in warm water in a 2 cup liquid measure and let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes.
2. Insert dough blade into food processor. Add flour, vital wheat gluten, rest of sugar, and salt. Pulse until combined.
3. Add cold water, oil and eggs to yeast mixture in measuring cup.
4. With machine running on dough speed, add yeast mixture through tube in steady stream as fast as the flour absorbs it. Once dough cleans the sides of the work bowl and forms a ball, continue processing for 45 seconds to knead dough.
5. Place dough in a floured plastic ziplock bag and seal. Let dough rise in a warm place until doubled in sized about 1 to 1½ hours.
6. Place dough on lightly floured surface and punch down. Let rest 10-15 minutes. Divide dough into two. Shape.
7. Place shaped bread on cookie sheet sprayed with cooking oil. Cover with plastic wrap coated with spray and let rise until double about 45 minutes.
8. Preheat oven to 375.
9. Brush with egg glaze, bake in lower third of oven for 20 minutes.
10. Lower temperature to 350. and bake until brown and hollow, about 10 minutes. Cool on wire rack.