You can use any leftover bread for this recipe, but I like the health bonus of using whole wheat challah and it adds a nice nutty flavor that compliments the chestnuts in this dish. Don't save this recipe for Thanksgiving, it is really fabulous any time.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 10 sides ServingsServings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 (3.5-ounce) bags Gefen roasted chestnuts, halved
- 2 cups dried cranberries
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh sage or 3 teaspoons dried
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried
- 8 cups (1-inch) cubed whole wheat challah
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Lightly grease a 2.75-quart baking dish and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large dutch oven over medium high heat. Sauté onion and celery for 8 to 10 minutes. Add chestnuts, cranberries, sage and parsley and cook 2 minutes more. Stir in challah, chicken stock, salt and pepper and remove from heat.
- Transfer stuffing to greased baking dish and cover with foil. Bake 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake 10 minutes more or until lightly browned.