This is one of my simplest and favorite salads. Iceberg lettuce is crisp and cold, and the mayonnaise dressing adds the perfect amount of richness to balance that out. Bursts of flavor from the salty tomato and “bacon” add to that complex composition while the basil and parsley keep it light and refreshing. This is also an interesting salad to serve because of the plating- its not every day your salad comes sideways.
- Prep Time
- 8 ServingsServings
- 1-2 Heads Iceberg Lettuce, depending on size
- 4 Roma/Plum Tomatoes
- 1 Bunch Scallions
- 8 Strips Kosher Bacon, cooked and chopped *
- 1 Clove Garlic
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
- Fresh Parsley and basil for Garnish
- Cut iceberg heads into 1/6ths and cut out cores. Chop tomatoes and sprinkle with salt to season. Chop scallions on a sharp angle.
- Arrange lettuce wedges on their sides on a platter. Sprinkle with chopped tomatoes and chopped scallion.
- To prepare dressing, mix mayonnaise and water in a bowl, 1 tablespoon at a time until desired consistency. Grate the garlic on a microplane or finely chop. Season liberally with salt and fresh cracked pepper.
- Drizzle ample dressing onto the salad platter and garnish with chopped kosher bacon and herbs.
* You can buy packaged kosher bacon such as Jack’s Facon. Alternately, you can ask your butcher for thick cut slices of fatty pastrami.