A filling and hearty bean salad that can be adapted for vegetarians or served as a meat main dish or side. Served warm it is comforting and delicious.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 ServingsServings
- 2 quarts Water
- 1/2 pound Brussel sprouts, butt-end removed, halved
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup Red onion, sliced into thin strips
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic, minced
- 3 Tablespoons Chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 Tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 cups Great Northern white beans, cooked
- 2/3 cup California Ripe Olives, halved
- 2 teaspoons Sage, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Lemon zest, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- pinch Black pepper, ground
1 Bring water to a boil in a large saucepot. Add brussel sprouts and cook for 3-5 minutes until bright green and just tender.
2 Drain well. Heat olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat.
3 Add well-drained sprouts and red onions and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sprouts are golden and onions are tender.
4 Add garlic and cook for one more minute. Turn heat down to low and pour in chicken broth and vinegar.
5 Stir in remaining ingredients and cook until heated through.
Source: California Olive