Crispy, savory mushrooms are a delicious palate opener. This salad can be served in smaller portions as a starter or in larger portions as a main dish for warm summer nights.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- Extra virgin olive oil, such as Colavita
- 2 shallots, sliced thinly
- ½ pound cremini mushrooms, wiped with a damp cloth and sliced in quarters
- ½ pound shiitake mushrooms, caps only, coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 cups arugula
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Sauté shallots in a large saute pan, generously coated with evoo, over medium heat, until the edges are just beginning to caramelize and turn golden brown.
- Add mushrooms and continue cooking, stirring occasionally until mushrooms are deep golden brown and have crispy edges, about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic and stir for just another minute to soften garlic a bit. Add balsamic and stir to coat mushrooms.
- Divide arugula between 5 to 6 plates, top with warm mushrooms and drizzle with pan juices.
NOTES FROM THE TEST KITCHEN:
Turn the delicious salad into a WOW by adding: toasted hazelnuts, pistachios, or pine nuts, sundried tomatoes, shaved parmesan and Asiago cheeses (for dairy meals)