- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 36 ServingsServings
- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened ( Pastry Ingredients)
- 2/3 cups granulated sugar (Pastry Ingredients)
- 2-1/3 cups all-purpose flour (Pastry Ingredients)
- 1/2 cup California walnuts, toasted and finely ground (Pastry Ingredients)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon (Pastry Ingredients)
- 1/2 cup icing sugar (Icing Ingredients)
- 2 tsp rum or vanilla (Icing Ingredients)
- 1/4 cup California walnuts, finely chopped (Icing Ingredients)
- 1 cup raspbery jam ( Filling Ingredients)
1 Preheat oven to 350°F. In bowl beat butter and sugar on high until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. In small bowl whisk together flour, walnuts and cinnamon.
2 Stir flour mixture into butter until well blended. Divide dough into three pieces and shape into discs. Wrap well with plastic wrap and refrigerate until well chilled.
3 On a lightly floured surface, roll out each disc to 1/8-inch thickness
4 Using a 1-1/2 inch round fluted cookie cutter, cut dough into rounds. Use a small cutter to make holes in the center of half of the rounds.
5 Arrange on parchment-lined baking sheets about 1-inch apart and chill in fridge for 15 minutes.
6 Bake the cookies in the center of preheated oven, 1 sheet at a time, until cookies are pale golden, about 15 minutes.
7 Transfer to rack and let cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough. In bowl, whisk together icing sugar and rum.
8 Brush over cookies with cutouts and sprinkle with finely chopped walnuts. Spoon approximately 1 tsp of the jam onto the bottom side of the solid cookies.
9 Top with cutout cookies. Repeat with remaining cookies.
Source: California Walnut Board