These tasty clusters of crunchy oats and walnuts baked with tender dried fruit make a great snack on the go.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- Vegetable oil spray
- 3 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup oat bran
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped California walnuts
- White of 1 egg
- 3/4 cup apricot nectar
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons walnut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (9-ounce) package dried figs (Mission or Calimyrna preferred), quartered (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 (6-ounce) package dried cranberries (about 1 1/3 cup)
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Lightly spray a 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking pan with vegetable oil spray.
2. In a large bowl, stir together the oats, oat bran, and walnuts.
3. In a medium bowl, beat the egg white until frothy. Stir in the apricot nectar, maple syrup, walnut oil, and vanilla.
4. Pour over the oat mixture, stirring until moistened.
5. Press the mixture into the prepared pan. Bake, uncovered, for 45 minutes.
6. Put the pan on a cooling rack and let cool for 10 minutes.
7. Break up the mixture into small pieces or clusters.
8. Return the clusters to the pan. Bake for 10 minutes.
9. Put the pan on a cooling rack. Stir in the figs and cranberries. Cool thoroughly.
Source: California Walnut Board