- Prep Time
- 8 ServingsServings
- 16 sun-dried tomato halves
- 1 cup Boiling Water
- 2 Tbsp dried basil leaves
- 1/3 cup Capers, drained
- 4 medium cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 round loaf (16 oz/ 455 g) Tuscan-style bread, halved, creating 2 rounds
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup thinly sliced green bell pepper
1 Place tomatoes in a small bowl, cover with boiling water, and let stand 5 minutes to soften.
2 Place tomatoes, 1/2 cup (125 mL) tomato water, and remaining spread ingredients in a blender; puree until smooth.
3 Spread half of tomato mixture evenly over bottom half of bread loaf and top with filling ingredients in the order listed, starting with cheese.
4 Spread remaining tomato mixture on top half of bread loaf and place, spread side down, on top of lettuce. Press down firmly and cut into 8 wedges.
5 Fresh Tip: This is a great make ahead sandwich. The spread can also be used as a "tapenade" on crostini or whole-grain crackers.