An incredibly flexible dish. This vegetarian rice salad can be an addition to a salad bar, a main dish for a vegetarian meal or a side dish to a meat/chicken/fish main course.
- Prep Time
- 1 1/2 cups Italian rice (Arborio or Carnaroli grain)
- 1 cup frozen fava beans (if you can’t find them, substitute green peas)
- 2 small zucchinis
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 2 leeks
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (or more)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 4 ounce sheep cheese (*optional) (Italian Pecorino or Israeli Gilboa)
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Bring a medium saucepan filled with salted water to a boil over medium-high heat.
2. Stir in the rice, reduce the heat and simmer until the rice is cooked (about 15 minutes).
3. Drain the rice rinsing it quickly under cold water and let it cool completely. Transfer into a large serving bowl and fluff the rice with a fork.
4. In the meantime, cook the fava beans in boiling water for a couple of minutes; drain and set aside.
5. Cook the zucchini in boiling water until they start to become tender but not mushy. Drain and allow to cool, then cut into slices.
6. Clean the leeks and slice them into thin rings.
7. Wash the tomatoes, slice them and discard the seeds.
8. Add the fava beans, zucchini, leeks and tomatoes to the rice.
9. Combine the oil with the balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper and use this mix to dress the rice salad, stirring gently.
10. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until 15 minutes before serving.
Fuoco Variabile - Milan