The mushrooms, herbs and wine give this gravy such rich flavor that even the carnivores will enjoy it.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 6 cup (s)Servings
- 3 cloves garlic-minced
- 1 large shallot- minced
- 1 pound mixed mushrooms (white button, portabello, shitake)
- 2-3 sage leaves-chopped
- 18 (about) branches thyme-leaves removed-branches discarded
- 3 ounces + 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 cups vegetable broth (boxed/fresh)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat olive oil over medium flame in skillet. Add minced garlic and shallot. Saute until soft.
2. Add mushrooms and herbs. Stir vigorously until mushrooms have softened and released their juices.
3. Add wine. Stir well and bring to a boil. Boil 2 minutes.
4. Sir cornstarch into ½ cup vegetable broth. Add to mushrooms. Stir well until slightly thickened and then add remaining 3 ½ cups broth. Stir until gravy thickens again. Taste. Season with salt and pepper. Use immediately or cool completely before refrigerating. Adjust seasoning if necessary after reheating.