I used to love hot and sour soup, but the one kosher Chinese place by me does not do it right and so I have learned to make my own and come to realize how easy it is. Now you can make it as spicy or not as you like, this version is pretty spicy, decrease the chili sauce and add to taste if you don't want it to hot.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 6 ServingsServings
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth or water mixed with bouilion
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms of choice (I like shiitake)
- 2 tablespoons garlic and red chili paste
- 3/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 small can sliced bamboo shoots
- 2 small can whole water chestnuts, chopped roughly
- 1 can baby corn, cut into pieces
- 1 pound soft tofu cut into small cubes
- 3 tablespoon corn starch
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- finely chopped fresh scallions
Bring water or broth to a simmer, add soy sauce, mushrooms& chile paste, simmer for 10 minutes.
Add pepper, vinegar, bamboo, baby corn, water chestnuts and tofu, simmer 10 min. Mix cornstarch with 4 tbsp water and add.
Bring back to a simmer and pour the eggs in a very thin stream over the surface while stirring with a fork.
Let stand for 10 seconds before gently stirring in the sesame oil.
Serve with a garnish of chopped scallions.