If dried shiitakes are used, the soaking liquid can be used instead of water.
You can also start this a day or two in advance by cooking everything for about an hour on the stove till barely cooked, then refrigerating overnight or a couple of days.
This recipe should be made in a 4-quart crockpot. Scale down the quantity if yours is smaller or don''t add so much water if yours is bigger.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
1 tablespoon neutral oil
- 1 or 2 large onions, cut into 1" cubes
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and chunked
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chunked
½ pound black-eyed peas, rinsed and soaked overnight
½ pound barley (rinsed)
Handful of shiitake mushrooms, cut up
½ c. ketchup
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1. Coat the bottom of your slow cooker with oil, about 2 inches to help keep things from sticking.
2. Layer onions, potatoes, sweet potatoes, black eyed peas, barley, shiitakes,