If you are looking for a different kind of cholent this one is for you. You can make it vegetarian as I did using veggie chicken apple sausage, but you can still keep it pretty healthy by using real chicken apple sausage. I do suggest frying the onions and sausage and even the vegetables before cooking for added flavor.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 6 ServingsServings
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, sliced into half rings
- 1 12 oz. package of vegetarian or regular chicken apple sausage links, cut into pieces
- 2 medium potatoes, halved and sliced
- 1 large carrot stalk, cut into chunks
- 1 bag of Manischewitz Four Bean Mix (beans should be soaked for a few hours or overnight)
- 1/2 cup barley
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 carton Manischewitz Vegetable Broth
Heat oil in a medium to large frying pan. Once hot add onions and sauté until golden, remove to slow cooker or 9x13 baking pan. Add sausage to the pan and fry until golden, place on top of the onions. Add potatoes and carrots to the pan and brown before adding to the baking pan.
Pour beans and barley over the vegetables. Sprinkle seasoning packet, cumin and paprika over top and then pour in vegetable broth.
If using a slow cooker, cover and set on low, cook a minimum of 8 hours and up to 18 for Shabbat lunch. If using a baking pan, cover tightly and place in a 225 degree oven for the same amount of time.