- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 servings ServingsServings
- 1 tablespoon:olive oil
- 2 medium:carrots, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 butternut:squash (about 1 3/4 pounds) peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 onion,:chopped
- 1 (15-to-19 ounce) can:garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14-1/2 ounce) can:stewed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup:pitted prunes, chopped (or substitute golden raisins)
- 1/2 teaspoon:ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon:salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon:red pepper flakes
- 1 cup:couscous
- 1 cup:vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons:chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- In nonstick stock pot heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add carrots, squash, and onion and cook until golden, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in garbanzo beans, stewed tomatoes, prunes, cinnamon, salt, crushed red pepper, and 1 1/2 cups water; heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 30 minutes or until all vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, prepare couscous as label directs, but use vegetable broth in place of the water called for on the label. Stir cilantro into stew. Spoon stew over couscous to serve.