A hearty Vegetable Chowder with a special pareve, creamy ingredient...coconut milk!
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- - ServingsServings
- 1 sweet:onion, diced
- 5 cloves:of garlic, peeled
- 2 medium:starchy potatoes, scrubbed, diced
- 1 large :sweet potato, peeled, diced
- 2 large :carrots, scrubbed, chopped
- 2 parsnips,:peeled, chopped
- 2 cups:cauliflower pieces, chopped
- 5 to 6 plum:tomatoes, halved, seeded
- 2 tablespoons:olive oil
- 1 teaspoon:fennel seeds
- 2 teaspoons:dried thyme
- Sea salt:and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 quart:of vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/2 cup:white wine
- 1 cup coconut milk:(to the best of my knowledge both Simply Asia Coconut Milk and Thai Kitchen Coconut Milk are certified Kosher Pareve and Kosher for Passover by the OK Laboratories (circle K)
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Combine the onion, garlic cloves, gold and sweet potatoes, carrots, parsnips, cauliflower and tomatoes in a roasting pan and toss with the olive oil and thyme.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add about a cup of the broth and a half cup of wine to the pan and roast the vegetables for about 45 to 50 minutes, until they are tender.
- Stir at least once during roasting. When the veggies are roasted, pour the rest of the broth into a soup pot and bring to a high simmer.
- Add the roasted vegetables (including any liquid and all the bits and pieces from the pan).
- Cover the soup pot and simmer gently for about 10 to 15 minutes. Using an immersion blender (or a regular blender if you don't have one) puree the soup.
- Add the coconut milk, stir and taste for seasoning adjustments, and warm through gently.
- Add more liquid if your soup is thicker than you prefer; if it is too thin, cook a little longer to reduce the liquid.