We’ve made this recipe completely vegan, down to the sugar. Of course, if you’re not vegan, these doughnuts are still perfectly delicious and you can make them with regular granulated sugar if you don’t have evaporated cane sugar on hand.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 18 - 24 DoughnutsServings
- 2 cups soy milk
- 1 vanilla bean, cut lengthwise and seeds scraped
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 ½ teaspoons active dry yeast
- ½ cup evaporated cane sugar (vegan sugar)
- 4 - 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 3 cups extra virgin olive oil
Vegan Vanilla Glaze
- 1 ½ cups confectioners’ sugar
- 3 tablespoons soy milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Add soy milk, scraped vanilla bean, and evoo to a large pot over low heat. Warm until the mixture reaches 95°F when measured with a candy thermometer. Remove pot from heat.
2. Sprinkle yeast over milk mixture, then sprinkle sugar on top of yeast. Set aside for 5 minutes, until yeast activates and the mixture looks foamy.
3. Transfer yeast mixture to the bowl of a mixer or large mixing bowl. Add flour and knead together for 90 seconds to form a smooth dough. Cover and allow dough to rest for 1 hour, until the dough doubles in size.
4. Lightly flour a baking sheet and set aside.
5. Transfer risen dough to a floured work surface, and knead in salt, baking soda, and baking powder.
6. With a rolling in, roll out dough to ½-inch thick. Cut with a 3-inch biscuit or cookie cutter and transfer the circles of dough onto prepared baking sheet. Re-roll any scraps to use up all the dough.
7. Cover baking sheet with a clean kitchen towel and let doughnuts rise for 30 minutes.
8. In a heavy gauge pot fitted with a deep fry thermometer, pour in 3 cups of evoo and place over medium heat. Once oil reaches 350°F, fry doughnuts a few at a time for 2 ½ to 3 minutes on each side, or until medium brown. Transfer doughnuts to a rack to cool.
9. Glaze warm doughnuts with Vegan Vanilla Glaze.
Vegan Vanilla Glaze:
1. In a small bowl, whisk sugar, soy milk, and vanilla until smooth.
2. Drizzle glaze or dip the top of each doughnut into the glaze. Serve immediately.