Part salad, part side, this vegan farro bowl is the perfect take-along lunch for busy moms. Just make the components in advance, cover and store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Beets will stain the grains, so pack those separately or enjoy a pink-hued farro!
This dressing is great on just about any salad. Double or triple the recipe, store it in a jar and place in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. Give it a shake and drizzle it on your favorite green or grain salad. For best results, use a great quality extra virgin olive oil. We love Colavita!
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3 tablespoons red miso
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Dash of hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
1. In a small bowl or glass jar with a lid, mix miso, vinegar, sesame oil, hot sauce, water, and orange juice together. Set aside or store covered in a jar in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Toss squash, carrots, and onion with evoo, salt, and pepper. Wrap beet in foil. Arrange vegetables and wrapped beet on prepared pan. Roast at 375°F for 45 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, place farro and water in saucepan over medium heat and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the level of water is even with farro. Turn off the heat and cover for 10 minutes, until farro is tender but not mushy. Season farro with fresh lemon juice, 2 teaspoons of evoo, salt, and pepper.
4. Remove veggies from oven to cool. Peel cooled beet and slice into wedges.
5. Toss veggies with vinaigrette. Arrange farro, kale, and vegetables in a bowl and drizzle a little evoo over the top. Or store components in lidded containers in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Want recipes like this delivered straight to your inbox? Sign up now for Jamie Geller's Weekly Newsletter.