This simple chocolate mousse, made using aquafaba, is an easy pleaser and a great way to get way to make use of the water you are draining off that can/pot of chickpeas. Plus, it is an extremely allergy-friendly option for legume eaters.
- Prep Time
- 1 cup chickpea water (aquafaba)
- 2/3 cup high quality chocolate, melted (100 g)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cane sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2-3 drops lemon extract or another flavour of your choice, e.g. lavender, mint, vanilla (optional)
- Shaved chocolate, fresh berries, crushed nuts (optional toppings)
1. Melt your chocolate (on the stove or in the microwave), stir in any desired flavour extracts and set aside to cool.
2. Add your aquafaba to a deep bowl or the bowl of your stand mixer and stir in the cream of tartar.
3. Mix until peaks begin to form (can take anywhere between 8-15 minutes).
4. Add the cane sugar and continue mixing for another 2 minutes, letting the peaks firm more. You should end up with a meringue that clings to the whisk thickly.
5. Drizzle the chocolate across your aquafaba and fold it into itself until well blended.
6. Spoon into your desired serving dish(es) and chill in the fridge until ready to serve.
7. Top with your choice of toppings before serving.