Lighter in flavor than a beef stew, this veal dish is perfect for a holiday meal or anytime you hanker for a really tasty, no-fuss main course.
- Prep Time
- 6-8 servings ServingsServings
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, coarsely chopped or cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 to 3 pounds veal stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 16 baby carrots, halved, length-wise
- 3 cups water
- 3/4 cup dried apricots
- 3/4 cup dried prunes
- Heat oil in 4-quart pot over medium heat.
- Place onions in pot and sauté for 8-10 minutes or until just beginning to brown. Add tomato paste and stir continuously for 2-3 minutes.
- Rinse veal and pat dry; season with salt and pepper.
- Add veal to pot and brown for approximately 10 minutes.
- Add carrots and water.
- Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 40 minutes.
- Add apricots and prunes and continue to simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until veal is soft and sauce thickens.
Contributed by: Quick & Kosher, JAMIE GELLER