All rugelach are good - what can be wrong with a rolled pastry? And you might think chocolate filing is the best, but that is before you try these Vanilla Rugelach.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 32 rugelachServings
- 2 packages yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (around 100 degrees F)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 package instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1/2 cup margarine
- 3/4 cup soy milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) margarine, melted
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 4 tablespoons vanilla sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla sugar
1. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, mix the yeast with the warm water and tablespoon of sugar and allow to proof for 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, place the margarine and soy milk in a microwave safe bowl and heat until the margarine is just melted. Allow to cool.
4. Add in 4 cups of flour, vanilla pudding, melted margarine and soymilk, the sugar, eggs, and salt to the yeast mixture. Mix on low speed until the dough comes together. If the dough is very sticky, add the last 1/2 cup of flour a little at a time until it is no longer sticking to the sides of the bowl.
5. Mix on low for 10 minutes to develop the dough, then shape the dough into a ball, cover with a little oil or cooking spray and place in a clean bowl to rise. Cover with a towel and let rise in a warm place for an hour.
Filling and Assembling:
1. Meanwhile, melt the margarine. In a separate bowl, mix the sugar with the vanilla sugar.
2. After an hour, cut the dough in half.
3. On a floured surface, roll out half the dough into a 14 inch circle. Drizzle on half the margarine (2 tablespoons) and half the sugars.
4. Cut the dough like a pizza pie into 16 sections. Roll each piece starting from the wide end.
5. Place each piece at least an inch apart on the parchment lined baking sheet, cover with a towel and allow to rise for 20 minutes. Prepare the second half of the dough in the same way.
6. Bake both trays at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes, until golden brown.
1. While the rugelach are baking, mix the water with the sugar and vanilla sugar in a small pot. Bring to a boil and boil until the sugars dissolve. Remove from the heat.
2. As soon as the rugelach come out of the oven, brush immediately with the sugar syrup and allow to cool.