My mom and I love stuffed cabbage, but it can be pretty time consuming, so she started making unstuffed cabbage, where she layered cabbage leaves and the ground meat filling, then baked it in the oven.
My version of unstuffed cabbage is even easier–the same principle flavors, you just add chopped cabbage to the filling and cook it all together. It’s still delicious, and takes 1/4 of the time!
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 lb ground meat
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 bags (20 oz) shredded green cabbage
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp vinegar (I used cider)
- Heat oil in a deep skillet or dutch oven. Add onions and cook until soft, 4-5 minutes. Add ground meat and brown, cooking 2-3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place cabbage in microwave for 2-3 minutes until softened. Add to pot with salt and pepper.
- Whisk together ketchup, sugar and vinegar. Add to pot and stir to combine. Cook 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until cabbage is tender.
Grand total: $9.42 (less if you buy a whole cabbage and shred it yourself); serves 4-6