This is your low and slow roast recipe, use for first-cut brisket, second-cut brisket, top of rib roast, or French roast. Serve with caramelized pearl onions for a gorgeous presentation.
This roast is best made the day before (it also freezes very well). Simply place cooled roast in fridge, and overnight the fat will float to the surface and be easy to skim off. Skim off fat, slice roast against the grain, and place slices back in the pan.
If you would like to serve it without the vegetables, you can strain the sauce, simmer the sauce, and serve over sliced meat.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 (3 - 4-pound) Grow & Behold roast
- ¼ cup potato starch
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large Spanish onion, sliced
- 1 large carrot (1 cup), rough chopped
- 2 celery stalks (½ cup), rough chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 1½ cups red wine
- 4 rosemary or thyme sprigs or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary or thyme
- 1 cup beef or vegetable broth
- 2 cups sliced or diced pineapple (reserve remaining pineapple for garnish)
- ⅓ cup honey
- 1½ cups finely diced pineapple
- ¼ cup finely diced shallots
- 1 red or green jalapeño, finely diced (optional)
- ¼ cup fresh chopped parsley
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
1. Heat 1 tablespoon evoo in sauté pan over medium heat.
2. Coat roast with potato starch and black pepper. Sear for 10 minutes per side, until each side develops a deep brown crust.
3. Once roast is seared, move into a 9- x 13-inch baking dish.
4. Add 1 tablespoon evoo to the pan along with onion, carrots, celery, and garlic. Sauté vegetables for 10 minutes until softened.
5. Mix in tomato paste and cook on medium heat until tomato paste clings to vegetables and starts becoming a bit brown.
6. Turn heat on high and pour in wine; cook on high until wine bubbles.
7. Lower heat and add thyme or rosemary, broth, pineapple, and honey.
8. Preheat oven to 350°F. Pour mixture over roast and cook at 350°F for 3 hours.
9. Allow roast to cool completely before slicing.
1. Combine pineapple, shallots, jalapeño, parsley, salt, lime juice, evoo, and honey.
2. Serve with roast.