Editor's Note: These cheesy Twice-Baked Turnips are spiked with jalapeño pepper and stuffed with two types of cheeses and more.
Note: If you prefer a dish with less heat, reduce the jalapeño and/or replace some of the pepper jack cheese with cheddar.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 large turnips 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 ounces low-fat sharp shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces reduced-fat shredded pepper jack cheese
- ½ cup low-fat Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup reduced-fat sour cream
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Cooking spray
- Chives for garnish (optional)
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cut off root ends of turnips so they lie fl at. Peel, then scoop out insides of turnips to a depth of about two inches. Chop into small pieces and place in a small bowl.
2. Boil turnip shells for 10 to 15 minutes or until just tender. Drain.
3. Meanwhile, sauté the chopped turnips, garlic, and jalapeño in olive oil until tender. Remove from heat. Mix in the cheese, yogurt, sour cream, and seasonings.
4. Place whole turnips on a lightly greased baking sheet. Scoop turnip mixture back into turnip shells. Broil for four to five minutes or until bubbly.
5. Remove from oven and garnish with chives.
Per serving: 250 calories | 13g fat | 16g carbohydrates | 20g protein
½ Leaner | 3 Green | 1 Condiment | ½ Healthy Fat