- 24 Jumbo Shells, uncooked
- 2 cups low-sodium canned tomato sauce
- 1 10- oz. package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 8 oz. shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (about 1 3/4 cup)
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat, part-skim ricotta cheese
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and grated (about 2/3 cup)
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Large pinch ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese (optional)
1 Cook pasta according to package directions; drain and rinse under cold water until completely cool. Drain thoroughly.
2 Preheat oven to 350° F. Squeeze as much water as possible from the thawed spinach
3 . In a large bowl, stir together the spinach, mozzarella, ricotta, carrots, egg whites, pepper and nutmeg until thoroughly blended.
4 Line the bottom of an 11 x 7-inch baking dish with 1/2 cup tomato sauce.
5 ivide the ricotta mixture among the pasta shells, pressing the filling into the shells with spoon to completely fill each shell.
6 . Arrange the shells side by side in a baking dish.
7 Coat the shells with an even layer of the remaining tomato sauce.
8 . Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, if desired.
9 Bake until the center of the shells are heated through and the sauce is bubbling, about 40 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Source: National Pasta Association