This decadent preparation of turkey legs is delicious. The turkey leg meat becomes silky and intensely flavored from the slow cooking method. Prep time does not include overnight marinating.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon juniper berries
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 4 turkey legs (about 12 ounces each)
- 3 cups chicken or duck fat
- 2 cups best quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup grated apple tossed with 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup apple sauce (homemade preferred)
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
1. Preheat oven to 300.
2. Pulse the garlic, juniper, thyme and rosemary with the salt in a food processor.Rub the mixture on the turkey legs and refrigerator overnight.
3. With a damp towel, wipe the salt from the turkey legs, a little remaining salt is fine.
4. Place the turkey legs in a casserole and add the poultry fat.
Poach the turkey legs until the meat begins to pull away from the bone (about 2 hours).
5. Remove the legs form the fat. Strain the fat and freeze to use again.
Pull the meat from the bones and shred.
6. Add the chopped apple, apple sauce and fresh cilantro. Enjoy as a side dish.