This salad will change the way you think about kale. The basil and mango add brightness to this salad and the nuts add the perfect crunch. It is really the dressing that takes inspiration from the Caribbean with the use of crushed red pepper and a hint of allspice. As kale is a tough green, it is important to dress the salad a half hour before serving so the flavor of the dressing can penetrate the greens.
- Prep Time
- 1 bunch kale, thinly sliced
- Pinch of salt 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice 1 teaspoon ground mustard 1 cup sweetened almonds, for topping
- 2 cups basil leaves
- 2 cups mango or peaches, chopped into 1-inch cubes or strips
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red chili flakes
1. Combine the kale, basil leaves and mango or peaches in a large salad bowl.
2. Whisk the red wine vinegar, oil, sugar, chili flakes, salt, allspice and ground mustard together using a whisk or shake in a covered container.
3. Pour over salad a half hour before serving.
4. Top with sweetened almonds.
Recipe published in JOY of KOSHER with Jamie Geller Summer 2013. Subscribe Now.