This cake is a must for Yom Ha'aztmaut with its blue and white layers representing the blue and white of the flag of Israel. Although there are several steps, don't let that scare you because the final product is both beautiful and delicious.
- Cook Time
- 12 slices ServingsServings
For The Brownie Layer:
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon cocoa
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon gel blue food coloring
For The Mousse Layer:
- 2 1/2 cups whipping cream
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon kosher gelatin
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 2 tablespoon hot water
- 1 cup frozen or fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup table or maple syrup
For The Ganache:
- 8 oz. whipping cream
- 8 oz. white chocolate
For the brownie layer:
1. Preheat oven to 350 and line the bottom of a deep 9" spring foam pan.
2. Combine the wet ingredients in a medium size bowl. Add dry to the wet and mix well. Mix in food coloring. If a richer color is desired add as much for coloring needed. Pour batter into a large round spring foam pan and bake for 25-30 min.
3. Once cake is read take the edges of the pan off and place cake in freezer till cool, once the cake has cooled down take a knife and even off the top and shave off as much cake till reached desired height.
4. While the cake is cooling prepare the mousse layers.
For the mousse layer:
5. In heat proof pan combine blueberries sugar cinnamon and salt. Place over medium heat and let simmer till the liquid breaks down and is released (about 5 min) Stirring occasionally.
6. Once liquid is released remove from flame and allow to cool.
7. In a small bowl dissolve gelatin in the cold water then add the hot water and set aside.
8. In a mixer with a whisk attachment beat the whip cream till it thickens then add vanilla and the gelatin mixture. Continue to beat the whip cream till it reaches a nice firm peak.
9. Once whip cream reaches the peak separate into two bowls, adding the blueberry mixture and a little blue food coloring to one bowl and the syrup to the other fold the flavors in.
10. Reassemble your cake pan and pour the maple layer first making sure to get it right up to the edges for a cleaner look. Then add your blueberry layer. Place the cake in the freezer
11. While cake is freezing you can make you white ganache layer
For the Ganache layer:
12. In a bowl bring unwiped heavy cream to a boil, remove from heat and pour it over the white chocolate. Stir till all the chocolate has completely melted. This will take about a minute set. Aside and allow the ganache to set and thicken.
13. Once the cake has set pour the ganache over the allowing to drip down the sides.
14. Place cake back in freezer.
15. Cake can be served frozen or cold
16. Once ready to serve garnish with fresh blueberries and powder sugar if desired.