These Triple-Chocolate Biscotti cookies are both chewy and crunchy at the same time; the outside is a little hard, but the center remains soft. I double this recipe because these cookies disappear so fast.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 24–36 cookiesServings
- 4 ounces (115g) bittersweet chocolate, broken into pieces
- 1 cup (200g) sugar
- 1/2cup (120ml) vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons (40g) vanilla sugar
- 1/2 cup (40g) unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tablespoon potato starch
- 1 1/2 cups (180g) ground almonds
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (170g) semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
2. Line a jelly roll pan or cookie sheet with parchment paper.
3. Melt the chocolate using the method described below. Remove the chocolate from the heat source, add the sugar and oil, and whisk well. Add the eggs and mix. Add the vanilla sugar, cocoa, potato starch, ground almonds, and salt and mix well. Add the chocolate chips and mix to distribute them.
4. Divide the dough in half and shape into two loaves, each about 9 x 3 inches (23 x 7.5cm). Place both loaves on the lined jelly roll pan and bake for 30 minutes. Let the loaves cool for 10 minutes (do not turn off the oven). Cut each loaf crosswise into 3/4- to 1-inch-thick (2- to 2.5-cm) slices. Place the cookies, cut side up, on a parchment-covered cookie sheet (or the jelly roll pan again). Bake for another 14 minutes, or until the cookies are firm to the touch on the outside but still feel soft on the inside. Check them after 10 to 12 minutes so that you don’t over-bake the cookies.
5. Let cool for 5 minutes on the pan and then slide the parchment and cookies onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
To Melt Chocolate:
To melt the chocolate over a double boiler, you place water in the bottom of the saucepan and the chopped chocolate in the insert. When you bring the water to a simmer, it gently melts the chocolate in the insert. You can create your own double boiler by placing 2 to 3 inches (5 to 8 cm) of water in a medium saucepan and resting a medium-size metal bowl containing the chopped chocolate on top. Stir the chocolate occasionally, until all of it has melted
Reprinted with permission from The New Passover Menu (Sterling/January 2014; Hardcover; $35.00)
Recipe published in JOY of KOSHER with Jamie Geller Magazine Spring 2015SUBSCRIBE NOW