Add a layer of any veggie you have in the house. This is a low-fat, no added sugar, high fiber, full of protein, and even low carb recipe that the kids and hubby will eat! A one-trifle wonder!” 246 calories.
- 12 ServingsServings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons shwarma spice (I like Pereg brand)
- 1½ pounds chicken breast or turkey, cut into cubes
- Cooking spray or olive oil for the pan
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 1 (12-ounce) container matbucha or Turkish salad (or any other tomato-based, Israeli-type salad)
- 3 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 4 leaves romaine lettuce, diced
- 1½ red peppers, ribs and seeds removed, cut into cubes
- 1½ yellow peppers, ribs and seeds removed, cut into cubes
- 1½ cucumbers or 5 kirbies, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 (16-ounce) container plain chummus
- 1 cup crushed pita chips
1. In a bowl, mix together oil and spice mix. Add shwarma and marinate, 30 minutes or up to overnight for enhanced flavor. Spray a large skillet
with cooking spray or heat 1 tablespoon olive oil, and stir-fry the meat mixture and onions until meat is cooked through and onions are soft,
about 6 minutes. Refrigerate.
2. Mix matbucha with mayonnaise. Set aside.
3. Assemble the salad right before serving: in a trifle dish, layer lettuce, red pepper, cucumber, matbucha mixture, yellow pepper, shwarma,
chummus, and pita chips.
4. Serve with salad tongs¸ scooping from the bottom.
Note: You can make your own pita chips. Cut 1 ½ pitas into wedges. Drizzle with olive oil. Spread on a baking sheet at bake and 350°F until
crunchy, about 15 minutes. Crush and add to salad just before serving.