A classic and simple salad, traditional Panzanella is all about the combination of fresh vibrant tomatoes and the mixture of fresh basil and parley. Dressed in a basic yet elegant vinaigrette the flavors of the vegetables and herbs are the stars of this dish. A hearty yet mild flavored buffalo mozzarella adds texture. Remember to add the toasted bread after dressing, right before serving.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 cups cherry or grape tomatoes, halved or quartered depending on size, mixed colored or heirloom tomatoes make for lovely presentation
- 1 small red onion, quartered and sliced
- 5-6 fresh basil leaves cut in a chiffonade (roll washed and dried leaves into a tube and slice on the horizontal in thin strokes)
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup sliced buffalo mozzarella
- 1/2 small loaf day old country bread cut into cubes
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. In a large mixing bowl add the bread cubes, drizzle with oil and toss to coat. Bake on a parchment lines cookie sheet till golden, 10 min approx. Set aside to cool.
3. In a mixing bowl add all the salad ingredients season with salt and pepper.
4. In a small bowl add the oil to the vinegar in a steady stream mixing continuously until the mixture is emulsified. Dress salad and mix well to coat. Before serving add in the bread cubes and toss gently.
Photos by: Photoli Photography by Andrea Brownstein - www.photoli.net