Looking for a new way to serve tomatoes?
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- - ServingsServings
- 3 :cups extra virgin oil
- 12 :heirloom tomatoes or favorite tomatoes
- 1 :cup whole basil leaves
- 6 :large peeled garlic cloves
- 6 :whole black peppercorns
- Place all the ingredients in a deep stainless steel pan or casserole.
- Place in a low oven at 200 degrees F for 6 hours until the tomatoes are soft and very fragrant.
The tomatoes can be used in sauces, salads, and vinaigrettes. The soft and delicious garlic can be mashed and added to sautes, vinaigrettes and sauces. Save the olive oil and saute with it, make vinaigrettes with it or confit more tomatoes.
Contributed by:LAURA FRANKEL
Tomatoes are my favorite summertime market vegetables find. I wait all year long for tomatoes and cannot seem to get enough of this sweet, juicy fruit. When I cannot think of ways to serve the tomatoes and my family and I am "saladed" out-I poach these beauties in olive oil. By poaching the tomatoes, I extend their shelf life for weeks. Store the tomatoes in the olive oil in the refrigerator for up to three weeks. Use the fragrant and tasty olive oil for sauteing or making vinaigrettes.