- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 6 servings ServingsServings
- 2 to 3 medium beets:(3/4 to 1 pound)
- 4 cups:thinly sliced leek (1 to 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon:olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon:salt, divided
- 1/4 cup:water
- 1 tablespoon:fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon:creamy peanut butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons:minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 cups:alfalfa or bean sprouts
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Leave root and 1 inch of stem on beets; scrub with a brush. Place beets on a small baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- Bake for 1 hour or until tender when pierced with a fork. Cool. Trim off beet roots and stem; rub off skins.
- Cut each beet in half lengthwise; slice each beet half crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
- About 15 minutes before the beets are done, combine the leek, oil, and 1/4 teaspoon salt on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; toss well to coat. Bake for 15 minutes or until tender and just beginning to brown; (stir after 8 minutes).
- In a bowl combine the water, lime juice, peanut butter, ginger, and 1/4 teaspoon salt, stirring well with a whisk until smooth.
- Arrange 1/3 cup sprouts on each of 6 salad plates; divide the beets and leek evenly among servings.
- Drizzle about 2 teaspoons dressing over each serving.
- The dressing gets thicker as it stands, so add more water to thin it if necessary.