This colourful, crunchy, tangy Asian Chicken Salad can be served at a picnic or simply when you have leftover chicken or turkey!
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 whole cooked chicken, deboned and shredded
- 2 2/3 cups shredded red, white or Chinese cabbage
- 4 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons teriyaki sauce, gluten-free
- 6 tablespoons sushi seasoning (sweet vinegar)
- 1 avocado, blended in a food processor until smoothgarnish
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives (handful)
- 2 tablespoonstoasted sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons toasted cashew nuts
- Fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- Chilli flakes
1. Remove the skin from the pre-cooked chicken, debone and shred the white/dark meat. Place meat in a large bowl.
2. To the shredded chicken add the sesame oil, soya sauce and teriyaki sauce. Mix well then add the avocado.
3. Toast the sesame seeds in a dry frying pan on a gentle heat until golden. Remove the seeds from the heat and leave to cool.
4. In another large mixing bowl, add the shredded cabbage together with sushi seasoning (sweet vinegar).
5. Add your seasoned shredded chicken into the cabbage mixture and toss.
6. Using a pair of kitchen scissors, cut the chives over the salad bowl. Add the roughly chopped coriander.
7. Check for seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste.
8. Garnish with the toasted sesame seeds, toasted cashew nuts and chilli flakes.
LISA’S TIP: The heat of summer calls for grilling and quickly prepared salads. Once you have mastered this salad, you may like to vary it by adding some chili, shredded carrots, mango, or mint.
Recipe printed with permission from My Relationship with Food: 100 Recipe to Noursh Mind, Body & Soul