Hearty and delicious Chinese-style vegetarian dish from the Quick & Kosher Cookbook
- Prep Time
- 3 - 4 servings ServingsServings
- 1/4 cup:cold-pressed, high oleic safflower oil or canola oil
- 1 (8-ounce) package :tempeh, cut into 1/4 inch strips
- 2 tablespoons:white miso paste
- 1/4-1/3 cup :water
- 2 tablespoons:tamari or shoyu sauce
- 2 tablespoons:mirin (Japanese rice wine)
- 2 tablespoons:balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons:brown rice syrup or sugar
- 2 teaspoons:toasted sesame oil
- :Sliced scallions
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet. Place half of the tempeh strips in the skillet and sauté quickly, turning them so both sides brown. Remove to a paper-towel-lined plate and repeat the process with the other half of the tempeh strips.
- In a small bowl, mix the miso and water together with a whisk until the miso is dissolved.
- Add tamari, mirin, vinegar, syrup or sugar, and sesame oil to the miso and whisk to combine.
- Lower the heat in the skillet. Return the fried tempeh back to the skillet and pour the sauce over the top. The sauce should begin to thicken. Remove from heat.
- Garnish with sliced scallions and serve immediately.