Unlike dessert pies, this sweet potato and meat pie will fulfill your appetite for a new and exciting entree.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 1/2 pounds North Carolina sweet potatoes (about 2 large potatoes)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic (1 large clove)
- 1 poun ground beef, 90% lean
- 1 can (15-ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme or herbes de Provence, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 tablespoon non dairy milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Oil a 6 to 8 cup shallow baking dish. Pierce sweet potato skins and microwave until tender, about 4-6 minutes. Cool.
2. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and celery cooking and stirring until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic. Cook and stir 1 minute. Add beef. Cook and stir until it just begins to brown.
3. Stir in tomato sauce, Worcestershire, 1 teaspoon of the thyme and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Transfer to baking dish; spread evenly.
4. Scoop sweet potato from skins into medium bowl; add margarine and non-dairy milk, remaining 1/2 teaspoon thyme and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. With electric beater, beat until smooth; spread over meat in baking dish.
5. Bake until bubbly, about 20-25 minutes.
Per serving: 386 calories, 34 g carbohydrates, 6 g fiber, 14 g sugar, 15 g fat
Diabetic exchanges: 1.26 starch, 1.75 vegetable, 3.45 lean meat, 1.79 fat
Contributed by:North Carolina Sweet Potato Commission