- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- serves ServingsServings
- 4 lbs. red skinned sweet potatoes/yams
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons margarine (I like Earth Balance)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- pinch of ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 package marshmallows
1 Preheat oven to 375°F. Peel and slice potatoes into 1 inch pieces. Arrange potatoes on a deep dish pie plate or large baking dish.
2 Combine sugar, margarine, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, ginger and vanilla in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and stir until sugar dissolves. Pour over potatoes, toss to coat and cover dish with foil.
3 Bake potatoes for 40 minutes covered. Then uncover and bake until potatoes are tender and syrup has thickened, about 20 minutes. Increase oven to to 500F. Top potatoes with marshmallows and watch carefully as it bakes until marshmallows begin to brown, about 3 minutes.