A spiced, sweet dry rub seasons the turkey and gives it a great flavor.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 16 - 18 pound Wise-Glatt Organic Turkey
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 ½ teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 cups organic chicken stock
- 2 cups filtered water
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- 1 large sweet onion, cut into 8 quarters
- 8 whole garlic cloves
- 1 orange, cut into 8 slices
- 1 lime, quartered
- 1 bunch fresh oregano (¾ ounce)
- ½ cup palm shortening, melted
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Combine spices in a small bowl. Rinse and pat turkey dry.
2. Pour organic chicken stock, filtered water, lime juice, and zest into the bottom of a roasting pan. Stir to combine.
3. Place turkey on wire rack in roasting pan. Pull skin away from turkey. Evenly distribute spice rub under skin and rub over outside of bird. Place onion, garlic cloves, orange, lime, and fresh oregano in turkey cavity. Use butcher twine to tie legs together.
4. Bake turkey at 375°F for 30 minutes. Remove from oven, and baste turkey in melted palm shortening. Lower oven temperature to 325°F, and continue to baste the turkey every 30 to 45 minutes, using aluminum foil if the turkey gets too brown. Roast until internal temp reaches 165°F.