Croutons are so last Summer, we're giving our salad the falafel treatment. These aren't just any falafel, they are flavored with sun-dried tomatoes for a modern interesting flavor change.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
1 cup dried chickpeas, soaked in cold water overnight, drained
Extra virgin olive oil, such as Colavita, for deep frying
1 small yellow onion, coarsely chopped
3 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
½ cup sun-dried tomatoes
½ cup fresh basil leaves
1 teaspoons kosher salt
½ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
4 cups mixed baby greens
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1 cucumber, sliced
¼ cup tahini
¼ cup water
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1. Add extra virgin olive oil to a medium pot and place on medium-high heat.
2. In a food processor, pulse onion and garlic 4 to 5 times. Add sun-dried tomatoes and basil and pulse 4 to 5 times more. Add chickpeas, salt and pepper and pulse until finely chopped. Shape mixture into 1½-inch balls and set aside.
3. When oil reaches 350°F, cook 3 to 4 balls at a time for 3 minutes, until golden. Remove, place on a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
4. Meanwhile, whisk tahini with water and lemon juice, season with salt.
5. To assemble, layer greens, tomatoes and cucumbers on a large platter and top with hot falafel. Drizzle with tahini dressing.