S’mores are just one of those iconic summer foods that everyone loves. Whether you’re young or old, it’s impossible not to enjoy sitting outside around a fire with a toasted, melting marshmallow on a stick. It’s simple summertime indulgence at its best. This summer s’mores challah is ooey and gooey, chock-full of milk chocolate bars and covered in crunchy graham cracker crumbs. Want to make this recipe non-dairy? Just substitute dark chocolate for the milk chocolate bars.
You can use your favorite challah dough recipe. This one is our favorite.
Keep reading for S’mores Bars and S’mores Challah Muffin variations.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 pounds favorite challah dough recipe
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Mini marshmallows
- 3 milk chocolate bars (can substitute dark chocolate for non-dairy version)
- 10 graham crackers, crushed
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Thick sea salt (optional)
1. When making your dough add vanilla and cinnamon in the last step before kneading.
2. Place dough in a greased bowl and cover with damp towel. Allow to rise as per your recipe instructions.
3. Divide dough evenly into two parts for two loaves. Divide each loaf into three parts. Roll each section into a wide snake and then flatten gently. Place marshmallows on top of each section and then chocolate bars, evenly spaced. Fold the challah over the chocolate and marshmallows and pinch tightly. Roll out the rope one more time.
4. Take each rope and roll in the crushed graham cracker crumbs. Braid challah. Repeat with other half of dough.
5. Allow challah to rise another 45 to 60 minutes, or until you can see the size has grown and challah seems light.
6. In a small bowl beat 1 egg with 1 teaspoon water and 1 teaspoon honey.
7. Preheat oven to 350°F.
8. Brush egg wash liberally over challah. Sprinkle with remaining graham cracker crumbs and a sprinkle of thick sea salt.
9. Bake at 350°F around 15 minutes. Take additional mini marshmallows and place on top of challah. Turn challah around and bake another 9 to 10 minutes.
1. S’mores Bars: On a floured surface, roll out challah dough to ⅛-inch thickness. Place a 3.5-ounce bar of bittersweet or dairy chocolate in center of dough. Top with mini marshmallows. Cut 1-inch strips on both sides of dough and then bring strips to meet in center. Brush with egg and top with crushed graham crackers. Bake at 350°F for 25 to 30 minutes. Slice.
2. S’mores Challah Muffins: Follow challah instructions, but instead of making a large challah, divide dough into 12, make 12 mini-challahs, and place in muffin tray lined with cupcake holders.