A homemade and healthy vegan pie that brings out the comforting flavor of sweet peaches, and there is a secret ingredient in the dough... vodka!
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 9-inch piesServings
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup Earth Balance Original Buttery Spread (or other parve butter-substitute)
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 6 tablespoons vodka
- 6 1/2 cups of ripe peaches (about 7 peaches) - can be subbed with apricots for extra nutritional value
- 1/2 cup sugar (1/2 cup if using apricots)
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 teaspoons lemon zest
1. Mix the flour, sugar, and salt.
2. Cut the butter substitute into the mix into small pieces.
3. Add water and vodka, and stir until a dough forms.
4. Separate into four dough balls, cover each in plastic wrap.
5. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
1. Bring a large pot of water to a simmer.
2. Score the peaches with an X on the bottom of each.
3. Simmer peaches for about 4 minutes until the skin appears to start peeling away.
4. Make a large bowl of ice water. Blanch peaches by transferring from simmering water to the ice bath.
5. When peaches are cool enough to touch, peel and chop each into bite-size pieces.
6. Add sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, cinnamon, and zest to the peaches.
7. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
1. Roll out the dough or press into pie plates.
2. Fill each pie crust with the peach filling.
3. Roll out extra dough onto the each pie or create a lattice design just make sure there is room for steam to escape.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes.
5. Chill in the refrigerator for about 2 hours before serving.